Do you want to make deliciously crunchy mozzarella sticks without the added fat of deep frying? The air fryer is here to save the day! Air frying is a new favorite way to whip up crispy foods using only a fraction of the oil. Not only that, but it uses much less energy and time than traditional methods. In this blog post, I’ll show you how to make mozzarella sticks in air fryer paired with minimal prep work! Get ready for golden-brown cheese on the outside and melted gooeyness on the inside – your taste buds will thank you!
Mozzarella Stick History:
Did you know that Mozzarella Sticks have been around since the 1950s? They were first introduced by Italian food vendor, Lionel Sternberger. His inspiration for this popular snack was Melba Toast – thinly sliced pieces of toast covered in melted cheese. Despite being a long-standing snack, Mozzarella Sticks have only gained widespread popularity in recent times.
What Are Mozzarella Sticks Made Of?
Mozzarella sticks are a popular appetizer found in many restaurants and fast-food chains around the world. These tasty treats are made from mozzarella cheese that has been cut into long, thin strips and covered in batter or breading before being deep-fried to a crispy golden brown.
To ensure that the cheese doesn’t melt too quickly and spill out during the cooking process, it’s essential to handle the sticks with care and avoid overcooking them. Once done, they are usually served with a tasty marinara dipping sauce and can be enjoyed alone or as part of a larger appetizer platter, including french fries, onion rings, and buffalo wings.
Are Mozzarella sticks a healthy snack?
Mozzarella sticks can actually be a healthy addition to your diet, as long as they’re consumed in moderation. These cheesy snacks are typically made with mozzarella cheese and a breading made of flour or breadcrumbs. They contain minimal amounts of fat, with the carbohydrates in milk protein being the primary source of calories. The fats in mozzarella sticks are mostly saturated, which can be acceptable as long as they don’t exceed 15% of your daily energy intake. Some mozzarella sticks also contain antioxidants from added garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
However, mozzarella sticks can absorb a lot of oil and fat when deep-fried, so moderation is key. Be sure to pair them with a dipping sauce like marinara to avoid losing track of how many you’ve eaten. While they make a great appetizer or snack between meals, they shouldn’t be a primary dinner option unless you’re trying to increase your calorie intake.
Not only do mozzarella sticks taste great, but they also offer numerous health benefits. They’re high in calcium, making them an excellent choice for strengthening your bones. Mozzarella is also rich in protein, which can aid muscular development. Enjoy these tasty snacks in moderation and reap their nutritional benefits!
Mozzarella Sticks Nutrition Facts:
Mozzarella sticks are pieces of cheese, specifically milk, that are breaded and deep-fried. While they may seem harmless, they contain a substantial amount of fat, with about 37 grams per serving. In terms of macronutrients, a serving of mozzarella sticks has 10g protein and 12g carbs. The high fat content is also accompanied by a cholesterol intake of around 260mg per serving.
Men’s Health magazine gave mozzarella sticks a high rating of 96/100 for taste, but the nutrition facts indicate that it is not a healthy snack to consume regularly. However, they do provide some vitamins and minerals, including calcium, iron, and vitamin A, which provide 26% of daily calcium requirements for adults and 38% of daily iron needs.
Nonetheless, mozzarella sticks do not contain many micronutrients, with only trace amounts of vitamins B, C, and E. With approximately 260 calories per serving, it is best to avoid this food if you are trying to reduce your caloric intake due to its high fat content.
Benefits of Making Mozzarella Sticks in an Air Fryer:
Making mozzarella sticks in an air fryer has many advantages over traditional frying methods. Air frying requires less oil than deep-frying, so your mozzarella sticks will have fewer calories and fat than if they were deep-fried. Additionally, air frying results in a more even and consistent cooking, meaning your mozzarella sticks are more likely to cook evenly.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer?
The Mozzarella sticks are one of the most popular appetizers in America. Whenever you go to a sports bar, you should consider Mozzarella sticks as an option. However, Mozzarella sticks at bars are usually deeply fried, which is not good for our health. The air fryer Mozzarella sticks are healthy because they are baked with hot air instead of being fried in oil.
A recipe for Mozzarella sticks in an airfryer is provided below:
- 4 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese cut into 12 equal pieces.
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs or panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 2 egg.
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes.
- Olive oil cooking spray.
- Mozzarella sticks marinara sauce (optional).
- Mix together flour, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Take out two bowls for mixing up your batter. To one bowl, whisk together an egg with salt and pepper; to the other, mix the breadcrumb mixture with parmesan cheese.
- Put Mozzarella cheese pieces on a plate and coat them with breadcrumbs. Make sure that Mozzarella sticks are fully covered in bread crumbs or panko.
- Pull apart Mozzarella cheese, so there are no clumps of them left – only individual strings of Mozzarellas should exist before this step. Then cut each Mozza-string in half so you have a bunch of shorter Mozzarella strings in a similar size range. Now use tongs to put Mozzarella strings into the batter. Stir around Mozzarella string with tongs for a few seconds, covering them evenly. Then lift Mozzarella string out of the bowl and put Mozzarella strings in the breadcrumb mixture bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Spray Mozzarella sticks with cooking spray before placing them in the basket of the air fryer.
- Put Mozzarella sticks on the Baking/cooling rack inside Air Fryer cooking machine. If you want to make Mozzarella sticks that are very crispy, put Mozzarella sticks at the bottom of the pile, closer to the heating element. If you’re making Mozzarella sticks that are less crispy but still have some crunch, place them at the top of the pile so they won’t touch the heating element.
- Now all you need to do is wait for Mozzarella sticks to finish cooking! It should take about 10-12 minutes for Mozzarella sticks in the air fryer.
- Serve Mozzarella sticks hot with a marinara sauce for dipping. Once Mozzarella sticks are done, place them on a plate and serve!! Enjoy!
Optional: If you want your Mozzarella sticks crispy, you can add more breadcrumbs or panko to make sure they are properly coated all over again after air frying so that each Mozzarella stick is crispy.
Suggested tweakings: Make Mozzarella sticks spicy by adding garlic powder, red pepper flakes, or black pepper to the Mozzarella cheese mixture before covering them with breadcrumbs or panko.
Tips for Perfectly Crispy Mozzarella Sticks:
To get the perfect crispy mozzarella sticks every time, a few simple tips can help you achieve the best results. First, make sure to use quality ingredients such as high-quality mozzarella cheese and a light coating of breadcrumbs that are not overly seasoned. This will ensure that your mozzarella sticks are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, while still having a soft and melting interior. Secondly, it is important to preheat the air fryer before adding your mozzarella sticks.
This ensures that they cook evenly and quickly, producing an optimal texture and flavor. Finally, make sure to turn your mozzarella sticks frequently while cooking in order to prevent burning or uneven cooking. A higher air fryer temperature may also result in a more crispier finish. Experiment with different temperatures until you find the one that works best for you!
Serving Ideas for Your Delicious Air Fried Mozzarella Sticks:
Ditch the deep-fried version and try air fried mozzarella sticks for a healthier and still delicious snack. Here are some serving ideas to try:
- Classic Marinara Sauce: Keep it simple with a classic marinara sauce for dipping. Make it from scratch or grab a jar from the store.
- Ranch Dressing: Dip your mozzarella sticks in ranch for an extra burst of flavor. You can whip up your own by mixing sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch seasoning or use a store-bought version.
- Honey Mustard: Enjoy the sweet and tangy combination of honey mustard dipping sauce with your mozzarella sticks.
- Garlic Butter: Brush your mozzarella sticks with garlic butter for added flavor. Melt butter in a pan and add minced garlic for a delicious twist.
- Caesar Salad: Turn your snack into a meal by pairing with a side Caesar salad. The creamy dressing and crunchy croutons will complement the crunchy exterior of the mozzarella sticks.
- Pesto: Mix up the flavors with pesto instead of marinara. Make your own pesto or find one at the store.
- Bruschetta: Top your mozzarella sticks with fresh bruschetta for a colorful and flavorful appetizer. Mix fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar for the topping.
- Guacamole: Give your mozzarella sticks a Mexican twist by pairing with guacamole. Whip up your own or grab a container at the store.
- Salsa: Dip your mozzarella sticks in salsa for a lively kick. Make your own by mixing chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro or grab a jar at the store.
- Buffalo Sauce: Turn up the heat by pairing your sticks with buffalo sauce. Whip up your own or grab a bottle at the store.
Conclusion:How To Make Mozzarella Sticks In Air Fryer
Congratulations! You’ve now become a mozzarella sticks master and have learned the secret to making them fast and delicious in an air fryer. Don’t be afraid of experimenting with various add-ins, coatings and cheeses as you can make tasty, creative versions by mixing up your ingredients. And don’t feel overwhelmed if you mess up – try again until you get it just right! With a bit of practice and creative license, we are confident that you can always come up with unique renditions of this classic crowd pleaser. Most importantly, enjoy your delicious homemade mozzarella sticks – they’ll make great family meals or snacks for any occasion!